“What I discovered through my direct work with clients on the ground was that many of the women Food Bank serves would forgo buying essentials like diapers and menstrual care products to help feed their families and keep the lights on. This was particularly true in female-led households with no spouse present, where the median income in New York City is 31% lower than a male-led household with no spouse present. It’s worth noting, too, that neither diapers nor menstrual care products can be purchased using SNAP benefits (formerly known as food stamps).”
– Food Bank Board Member Katie Lee
Food Bank launched “Woman to Woman” in 2016 with chef, author, and Food Bank Board Member Katie Lee. The award-winning campaign helps women and girls in New York City access period products and hygiene essentials, which can be prohibitively expensive for those already struggling to afford basic necessities like food and rent.
At a time when nearly 1 million women and girls are facing poverty in New York City, it’s more important than ever for us to stand with our neighbors in need. Keep reading below to see how YOU can get involved in this vital work.
Throughout the year, we make it a priority to provide our clients with hygiene kits packed with the items so often left behind in the race to pay rent and put food on the table. Your support helps us to secure essentials like:
- Period Products (like tampons, pads, sanitary napkins, pantyliners, menstrual cups, and period underwear).
- Infant and Baby Essentials (like diapers, wipes, formula, bottles, breast pumps, diaper cream, swaddles, and blankets).
- Basic Hygiene Products (like neutral-smelling soap, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, and toilet paper).
HELP AMPLIFY OUR EFFORTS
We need you to spread the word to your network on social media! Below is sample messaging you can use to help support our Woman to Woman campaign.
- When women and girls can’t access the period products and hygiene essentials they need, they struggle to be all that they can be. @FoodBank4NYC’s “Woman to Woman” campaign seeks to fill in these gaps and empower our neighbors with the resources they need to thrive. Join me in supporting this powerful campaign by visiting https://www.foodbanknyc.org/womantowoman/.
- More than 1 million women and girls are currently facing poverty in New York City. @FoodBank4NYC makes it a priority to support these New Yorkers throughout the year through “Woman to Woman,” a campaign launched with Food Network star and Food Bank Board Member @KatieLeeBiegel to help provide free period, hygiene, and family care essentials to those who may not otherwise be able to afford them. When women can’t access the resources they need to thrive, they can’t care for themselves or their families. Help empower our neighbors in need to live their lives with the dignity they deserve: https://www.foodbanknyc.org/womantowoman/.
To download the Woman to Woman assets, right-click and save on a desktop or press and hold the image to save on a mobile device.
HOW WILL YOU MAKE YOUR IMPACT?
100% of donations go toward providing access to menstrual hygiene and personal care products for the women we serve.
Your gift will help provide access to basic necessities for people who menstruate all across the city.
Create a personal page to get your friends and family involved in our mission.
GIVE VIA AMAZON
Give menstrual hygiene and other personal care products via our Amazon Wishlist. The items will be shipped directly to our network of member agencies when you buy!