Food Bank’s Tax Assistance Program provides low-income New Yorkers with free tax preparation services, helping them get the refunds and credits to which they are entitled. This includes the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which alone can be worth up to $8,682 for families. You earned it, Food Bank will help you claim it. Appointments open now!
You can make an appointment in order to file your taxes in-person at one of our free VITA* tax sites (Walk-ins are welcome based on daily space availability). You can book your appointment online below. First select your borough, then select a tax site, then select a date and time. You will receive a confirmation email and/or text message once your appointment is made.
Filing your own taxes online is easy and COMPLETELY FREE (for both Federal and State taxes)! If you can use Facebook, you can self-file using one of the links below. All you need is a computer with internet access. Be sure to CLICK THE CORRECT BUTTON based on your 2018 income!
Need Help? Visit a Self-Prep Assistance Site.
Starting January 28th, you can bring your tax documents to one of the sites below. Computers are available and our IRS-certified coaches can guide you through the self-filing process and answer any questions you may have.
Filing your taxes virtually at one of our Virtual VITA* intake sites is easy and convenient! Here’s how it works:
- Gather all your needed documents.
- Bring your documents to one of our Virtual intake sites below. Be sure to call the site first to see if an appointment is needed!
- One of our trained intake specialists will verify your identity and review your documents to ensure they have everything needed to complete your tax return.
- That’s it! Our IRS-certified tax preparers will prepare your return electronically, and call you when your tax return is ready to review and approve.
- Copies of your tax return can be sent to you through a secure site or you can pick up a copy at the intake site where you dropped-off your documents.
*VITA is Food Bank For New York City’s free citywide tax assistance and financial services program.
Need assistance? Contact us at (646)981-6111.