Become a Certified Volunteer Tax Preparer at Food Bank!
We need your help this tax season! Food Banks’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program has put more than $1 billion back into the pockets of low-income New Yorkers.
For over 20 years, Food Bank For New York City’s FREE citywide tax assistance program has put more than $1.4 billion back into the pockets of low-income New Yorkers and has saved filers over $200 million in tax preparation fees. We operate an IRS-sponsored VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program and rely on hundreds of dedicated volunteers to ensure filers get the refunds they deserve, which reduces poverty and food insecurity.
For Tax Season 2024, we need volunteer support in three models of tax filing services:
- In-Person VITA Тax Preparer: Volunteers work alongside Food Bank tax staff at various community-based locations across NYC to assist tax clients on-site.
- In-Person Back End Tax Preparer: Volunteers work alongside tax staff at Food Bank’s Back End tax preparation centers to complete returns submitted electronically from our network of Intake Sites across NYC.
- Remote VITA Tax Preparer: Volunteers use a computer with internet access to prepare returns remotely and securely from home/work supported by Food Bank tax staff to help individuals file returns virtually.
We rely on dedicated volunteers to support this impactful anti-poverty work. No financial experience needed – volunteers of all professional backgrounds welcome!
AS A VOLUNTEER TAX PREPARER, YOU’LL HAVE THE CHANCE TO:
If you are interested in participating in our 2024 season, please express interest here to receive updates.
Learn more about how to get involved in the 2024 VITA season hear from past volunteers on their work and its impacts, meet Food Bank staff, and get your questions answered! Register for an in-person or virtual session using the links below.
- Thursday, September 28, 2023, from 6-7 pm (Zoom)
- Thursday, October 12, 2023, from 12-1 pm (Zoom)
- Thursday, October 26, 2023, from 6-7 pm (Zoom)
- Thursday, November 9, 2023, from 12-1 pm (Zoom)
- Thursday, December 7, 2023, from 6-7 pm (In-person)
- Thursday, January 4, 2024, from 12 – 1 pm (Zoom)
- All volunteers must complete an IRS Certification modules and exams via Link & Learn in order to participate.
- 2024 Tax season modules and exams should be available on the IRS Link & Learn Website in late November/early December.
- Work through the certification modules at your convenience. We estimate first-time volunteers will need between 10-15 hours to complete them all – which you can take straight through or break up into increments that work for you!
- Download our VITA Essential Links and Information Guide here for access to additional resources, study guides and test helpers! Updated materials for 2024 will be provided by early December.
- Check out our Study Guide Videos.
- Utilize the Tax Slayer Practice Lab.
- Complete and pass these three Link & Learn exams: 1) Volunteer Standards of Conduct Exam, 2) Intake/Interview and Quality Review Exam, 3) Basic or Advanced Certification Exam.
- Be sure to review the PDF versions of the exams (which will be linked on the VITA Essential Links and Information Guide) first and remember that the exams are open book!
After passing all 3 IRS exams, generate and electronically sign your Volunteer Agreement (Form 13615) from Link & Learn. The form must be signed and must show passing scores for all 3 exams. Email the completed form to us at email@example.com prior to starting your virtual Food Bank training.
2024 VITA training registration will open in late fall 2023.