NOTE: Prior to attending your first virtual training session with us, please ensure you have created an IRS Volunteer Account at www.LinkandLearnCertification.com and completed the 2021 Basic Certification or Advanced Certification.
TAX SEASON 2023
For over 20 years, Food Bank For New York City’s FREE citywide tax assistance program has put more than $1.3 billion back into the pockets of low-income New Yorkers and has saved filers over $200 million in tax preparation fees. We operate an IRS-sponsored VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program and rely on hundreds of dedicated volunteers to ensure filers get the refunds they deserve, which reduces poverty and food insecurity.
For Tax Season 2023, we need volunteer support in three models of tax filing services:
- In-Person Virtual Preparer: Volunteers work alongside Food Bank tax staff at various community-based locations across NYC to assist tax clients on-site.
- Virtual VITA Back End Tax Preparer: Volunteers work alongside tax staff at Food Bank’s Back End tax preparation centers to complete returns submitted electronically from our network of Intake Sites across NYC.
- Remote VITA Tax Preparer: Volunteers use a computer with internet access to prepare returns remotely and securely from home/work supported by Food Bank tax staff to help individuals file returns virtually.
NOTE: Volunteers *must* present proof of COVID-19 vaccination for in-person volunteer shifts.
We rely on dedicated volunteers to support this impactful anti-poverty work. No financial experience needed – volunteers of all professional backgrounds welcome!
AS A VOLUNTEER TAX PREPARER, YOU’LL HAVE THE CHANCE TO:
Completing the Basic IRS Certification? Sign-up for an In-person Basic Certification Training Session below:
- January 14th from 9:00am-5:00pm
- January 15th from 9:00am- 5:00pm
- January 22th from 9:00am-5:00pm
- January 28th from 9:00am-5:00pm
Completing the Advanced IRS Certification? Sign-up for an In-person Advanced Certification Training Session below:
Work through the certification modules at your convenience. We estimate you’ll need between 10-15 hours to complete them all – which you can take straight through or break up into increments that work for you! Be sure to check out our study guide videos and our VITA Essential Links Toolkit below to help get your started.
Once you’ve completed the modules, you must complete these three Link & Learn exams on the IRS website: 1) Volunteer Standards of Conduct Exam, 2) Intake/Interview and Quality Review Exam, 3) Basic or Advanced Certification Exam.
Attend the virtual Food Bank training(s) you registered for in Step 1 and begin serving with VITA!