Food Bank NYC Challenge
What is the Food Bank NYC Challenge?
Attempt to live on a food stamp budget for one week. That's only $1.38 per meal.
Congress cut food stamps twice over the past year, and soup kitchens and food pantries saw an immediate increase in visitors. New Yorkers can’t afford to ANY cuts to Food Stamps - learn more about the cuts here. The Food Bank NYC Challenge raises hunger awareness and deepens your understanding about the struggle to afford food on a food stamp budget.
How do I take the challenge?
Use $29 per person for all your food for 7 days. Share your experience, challenge a friend, and challenge Congress to strengthen food stamps.
- Do: Make a budget and shopping list, use coupons
- Don’t: Rely on food from others, use food you’ve already bought, give up
Ready to share your experience?
- Share on social media by tagging #FoodBankNYCChallenge - and don’t forget let us know on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Challenge a friend: “I took the Food Bank NYC Challenge, and challenge [your friend] to experience a food stamp budget for one week. To learn how, visit www.foodbanknyc.org”
- Challenge Congress to protect and strengthen food stamps, and let them know about your commitment to raise hunger awareness - Act Now.
- Donate the Difference between the food stamp budget and your normal weekly food costs - Donate Online.
“For one week, walk in someone else’s shoes. Knowledge is power, and by truly understanding what our friends and neighbors are going through, we will be better equipped to find solutions.”
Mario Batali, 2012 participant
photo by Melanie Dunea