Food Bank’s Tax Assistance Program provides low-income New Yorkers with free tax preparation services, helping them get the refunds and credits to which they are entitled. This includes the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which alone can be worth up to $8,463 for families. You earned it, Food Bank will help you claim it!
You MUST make an appointment in order to file your taxes in-person at one of our free VITA* tax sites. You can book your appointment online below. First select your borough, then select a tax site, then select a date and time. You will receive a confirmation email and/or text message once your appointment is made. Appointment calendar is open through February. The calendar for March and forward will become available on February 15. If the calendar is fully booked, try again at midnight, when new appointments become available. Remember, you also have the option to self-file for free online or drop off your tax documents at one of our intake sites to file virtually (see tabs above).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Arriving 15 minutes past your scheduled time will cause you to lose your appointment and you will have to re-schedule. February appointments are for 2017 filers ONLY! To file for 2016, 2015, or 2014, you must wait for March appointments to open.
Filing your own taxes online is easy and COMPLETELY FREE (for both Federal and State taxes)! If you can use Facebook, you can self-file using one of the links below. All you need is a computer with internet access.
Be sure to use the correct link based on your 2017 income!
Need assistance? STARTING JANUARY 29, 2018, You can bring your tax documents to one of the library sites below. Computers are available and our IRS-certified coaches can guide you through the self-filing process and answer any questions you may have.
Filing your taxes virtually at one of our Virtual VITA* intake sites is easy and convenient! Here’s how it works:
- Gather all your needed documents.
- Bring your documents to one of our Virtual intake sites below. Be sure to call the site first to see if an appointment is needed!
- One of our trained intake specialists will verify your identity and review your documents to ensure they have everything needed to complete your tax return.
- That’s it! Our IRS-certified tax preparers will prepare your return electronically, and call you when your tax return is ready to review and approve.
- Copies of your Tax Return can be sent to you through a secure site or you can pick up a copy at the intake site where you dropped-off your documents.
Find a Virtual Intake Site Near You
Need assistance? Contact us at (646)981-6111.